May 17, 2022
Make Delicious Mumbai Tawa Pulao - Here’s how!
It is quite a challenge to make something new every day. As time passes, you may have to repeat the same set of dishes over and over. It can get boring for you to cook and your family might eat just for the sake of it. But, why do you need to stop at what you are making now? Here is something that will be of help to you.
In this post, we are going to make delicious Mumbai Tawa Pulao. You can make this with a Triply Tawa at home. Why wait? Let us now go on to make a North-India Pulao.
Background to the Mumbai Tawa Pulao
This Tawa Pulao is one of the famous street food in Mumbai. It is made from the same Tawa in which Pav Bhajji is cooked. That is where this dish gets its name from. The nicely cooked rice sauteed with fresh vegetables retains the flavor of the Pav Bhajji Masala. You can cook this dish in a Tawa or a Tri Ply Stainless Steel Kadai.
Now that we have seen a bit about this dish. Let us now prepare it.
PREPARATION TIME - This dish will take around 30 - 45 minutes for all the ingredients to be prepared for making the final output.
COOKING TIME - You need to cook for 15 minutes.
This recipe will be enough for 3 to 4 servings.
Let us now get the ingredients ready for the Mumbai Tawa Pulao.
- Take ONE cup of basmati rice
- Need FOUR cups of water for cooking rice
- TWO or THREE drops of Oil
- Salt as needed
- Finely chopped ONE medium onion
- Chop ONE Capsicum
- ONE carrot
- TWO large tomatoes - Finely chopped
- ONE medium potato
- Chilli Powder as needed
- Pav Bhajji Masala as needed
- ONE teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- HALF a cup of green peas
- HALF teaspoon of Cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon of Turmeric Powder
- TWO tablespoons of Butter or Oil.
- Lemon as needed
- Coriander leaves
- Let the rice soak in water for about 20 - 30 minutes. Then, drain it and transfer it to the pot or Tri Ply Pressure Cooker
- Pour FOUR cups of water and add salt and Oil.
- Cook until the rice grains are separate and do not stick with each other.
- If you add more water or overcook, the rice will get spoilt so you would not get the desired texture for the Pulao.
Once it is done, let us now proceed further.
Making the Pulao
- Take the right Triply Cookware—either a pan or a Kadai.
- Add TWO tablespoons of butter along with a HALF teaspoon of cumin seeds and saute until it gets to the brown color
- Add the onions and cook until it becomes glassy in texture.
- Then add the ginger-garlic paste and saute till the raw fragrance of the paste goes away.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, capsicum. Follow that with TWO spoons of Pav bhaji masala, ¼ spoon of Turmeric Powder, and red chili powder depending on your preferred level of spiciness.
- Stir well for about 5 - 7 minutes.
- Then add the boiled vegetables—Carrot, peas, and potato in the respective quantities.
- Now add the cooked rice to this mixture.
- Keeping stirring gently until the rice gels well with the mixture and you get an even color.
- Finally, add the coriander leaves to finish the look. A pinch of lemon juice for added taste.
Serve Mumbai Tawa Pulao with Onion Raita!